Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Spelled asleep

Due to an unfortunate (and irresponsible) combination of too much caffeine, nerves/a little bit of stress, and the excellence of late night television, I've been having some interesting sleep issues over the last few days. By issues I mean: Saturday = 5 hrs of sleep, Sunday = 2.5 hours of sleep, Monday (afternoon and night) = 12 hrs of sleep.

Yesterday (Monday) I had class at 8 a.m. and a presentation later in the day that keyed me up so much I was unable to fall asleep the night before, until I finally smothered myself in pillows and blankets and forced my brain to think about the number of squares on a chess board, combined with mentally putting together the outfit I would wear if I were a spy who was going undercover as a fashion editor in Paris. I fully recognize that my brain is weird.

I got home from school, scarfed down some delicious Chinese food and decided to "just close my eyes for a little bit," with the best of intentions to wake up in about half an hour. This was at about 6:32 or so. I woke up from a dream in which I was late for class to squint at the clock and realize that it was 9:45 and I had slept the sleep of the martyred dead, mouth open and hand still clutching the TV remote control, for approximately 3 hours. Called L. back (she'd called while I was unconscious) and, taking her excellent advice, dragged myself up to drink a couple glasses of water, watch a couple episodes of SATC, and then collapse back to sleep.

This is a clearly unhealthy and highly unproductive way to live. I clearly need to figure out a way to get my sleep schedule back on track. Before finals come around, because once those arrive all bets are off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sleep patterns have also been really really bizarre. Try to reset yourself over Easter Break. That is my plan.
~Jen

teahouse said...

OMG, you sound like me. Are we long-lost twins or something? I too have horrible problems with insomnia!