Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Bernie's Summer Checklist

Ok, so these are tentative goals. This summer is not living up to my expectations, and I am therefore trolling for a new plan. Ambition is good. In moderation.

1. Spend quality time with loved ones. This shouldn't be too hard considering it is probably the most pleasant of all my summer plans thus far, but there are very special people who are very far away, and as such it takes a little bit of planning and effort to get face-time with them.

2. Write a book. I know, I know, I've been trying to do this for years, but maybe it'll work this time. Any ideas? I've got a few, but it's kind of hard to get the ball rolling. I figure if I can force myself to write at least a paragraph a day, on anything at all, inspiration will strike. Plus my writing should improve, so that's only a plus.

3. Make/save money. AUGH I'm 20 years old. This means that I am nearly an adult. At the very least, it means that I'm going to have to start growing up (a fact made abundantly clear by a revelation that maybe I'm a tad too old for merry-go-rounds. But only maybe.) Anywho, money is, sadly, required for survival in modern human society (at least, modern American society). Saving/making some would probably be a good idea.

4. Edify myself. This means several things: reading all the books on my summer reading list (currently finishing Lolita), learning at least one new thing a day, becoming wise(r) in the ways of classic rock, refresh my knowledge of the Vietnam war, and study theology (at the very least, the Bible). Phew. I hope I can get through all that.

5. CHANGE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas? So far the only thing I can think of is to start a letter writing campaign against the bloodsuckers who leech onto senior citizens for money (think Publishers Clearing House, the weird letters you get telling you that you're eligible for a free TV if you buy a blender in 6 easy installments of $19.99). Or I could study everything about the Middle East and come up with a proposal and send it to Condoleeza Rice. I think I'll start small with volunteer work. Red Cross, Domestic Abuse Shelter, etc, etc.

Wow. Did I say ambition was good in moderation? Well, I guess in Bernie world, moderation:ambition::buffet:meal - huge. Is that analogy right? I think I'm mixing metaphors in there somewhere. Or tenses or something. Or cases. It's late. I'm stopping now.

Sorry for the excessively long post.

Missing my Tom.

Ten Four, over and out.

No comments: