Monday, November 23, 2009

NaNoWriMo

So everyone knows by now but...I am almost done with my novel for National Novel Writing Month!

The project is to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of the month of November. So far I have kept pretty well on course (you need to average about 1700 words a day) and at this point I am a little ahead. I am SUPER excited that I've managed to come this far--I have always wanted to a write a novel, and now that the pressure's off for writing THE Great American Novel, it's been a wonderful and exciting journey to just get something down on paper, no matter how awful. A bad novel is still a novel, and it's better to have written a bad one than none at all.

If (when!) I finish, I am going to leave it alone while I take finals and then spend Christmas Break editing it, in the hopes that it might turn into something readable. At this point I'm not even going to hope for publication, since I haven't read it over yet (and won't until I'm done). But it really gives me a lot of faith for the future. Who knows...I might get my name on a bookshelf someday after all.

No comments: