Sunday, December 06, 2009

Observations...

...of Specifis Studiara Undergraduatum, or the studying undergraduate.

Studying in the undergraduate library has its benefits (close parking on nights and weekends, large tables with multiple outlets, good lighting, easily accessible bathrooms and water fountains) and its drawbacks (tons of undergrads, strange smells floating around, the inevitable butt-ache that afflicts anyone choosing to sit on a library chair for longer than an hour). Usually the benefits are enough to make me feel like it's worth it to study there. I am also unusually productive when surrounded by people reading novels and practicing in foreign language grammar workbooks (no hate, trust me, I was once one of you and I wish I could be again--sorta).

However, I feel like these Undergraduatum are both careless and inconsiderate, perhaps as unavoidable side-effects to being carefree and in college. When I was searching for a table I saw no less then five that were being "held" by a handful of papers and a lonely water-bottle. I saw one girl who was napping in her (four seater) booth. And I saw a bazillion of them giggling and sharing video clips on computers and making jokes.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that you sometimes have to get up and go to the bathroom, requiring you to leave all your crap splayed out on a table that someone else could use. That's fine. But don't leave your things for over an hour--that's just mean and selfish. Obviously you don't care very much about studying in the library if you are not even in the library. So please, allow others who need your space to use it.

Secondly, I also sympathize with people who might feel so sleepy that they need to put their heads down for a catnap. That's fine, and I am guilty of it myself. But twenty minutes of dozing is one thing; an hour and a half of hard sleeping in a space meant for four people is another. You go to school here. You (most likely) have a bed. Use it and let me sit in your booth.

Finally, I commend those who can socialize and study effectively. I also understand how that Funny or Die clip could be the most hilarious thing you've seen all afternoon; that these boots about to sell out on Zappos require trusted girlfriend input; and that this dirty knock knock joke simply must (must!) be shared. So please, share it elsewhere.

Phew. Now that I've purged myself of all my bitterness, I will take a few seconds to note that I eventually did get a table and am wearing headphones. So please, undergrads. Carry on. As long as I can get into my groove, I have no quibble with you or that Modern Cinema paper you need to write. However, if you do have any spontaneous tax knowledge, specifically pertaining to capital expenditures, please don't hesitate to share it with me. Thanks.

No comments: