Sunday, February 28, 2010

So.

Yeah.

It's only been about, oh, a month. And a lot has happened...well, a lot of little things have happened. A few missed weekends of training and bad shin splints effectively ended my goal of running the half in April. However, I am still keeping up with the running, every other day or so, and hopefully I'll be able to run a race something in the future that will make up for missing this one.

Strangely, for the last day or so I've been in a very weird funk. Kind of just feeling...useless and fuddly, trying to stir myself up to some kind of productivity. Today, I folded about five loads of laundry, finished off some leftovers (which is always such an oddly satisfying accomplishment), and baked some banana bread. Hopefully just keeping busy will help me get out of this mood, although honestly I think it is just a combination of winter and being at school and missing T. and kind of just getting sick of all of it. Spring break cannot come soon enough.

Perhaps it's just the inevitable depression that accompanies interminable gray skies, and being stuck in that valley right before the end of something: you know it's coming, you want it to arrive, but you can't get there yet and it won't come any sooner and all you have to do is trudge onward.

But I'm starting to feel my spirits lift a little. Maybe it's the satisfaction of seeing a cleanly organized closet, or the smell of that banana bread wafting around the apartment, or the excitement of playing hostess. Tomorrow I'm throwing a dinner party for my friend L., whose birthday is today. Happy birthday, L.! I have a (hopefully successful) menu planned and can't wait to celebrate.

And then next week, I'll be home with family and dogs, and then the end of the year will be here before we know it. And then I'll look back and wonder what I did with all that time, and why didn't I savor it more?

Yep. The inevitable contradiction of human nature. Man, I'm deep.

No comments: