Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A brief introduction

Having tried my (unfortunate) hand with two fish, and not being in a position to acquire a doggie of my very own, I've decided to take a different tack with small, living things dependent on my care. T. and I have adopted a little basil plant, who now cheerfully resides on our balcony. His name is Basel (pronounced Bah-zul), and please, no comments from the peanut gallery about the imaginative name.

Yes, it's true, I've changed class (phylum? genus? something like that. Bio was a long time ago). He seems to be doing well but when we first got him he started looking a little peaky. Some internet research informed me that a shady, air conditioned apartment was not the best environment for him, and he now basks in the full eastern sunshine every morning and is dutifully watered by yours truly at dusk.

It's late so I don't feel like staging a photo op, but rely on a picture of our household's newest member sometime soon.


In completely unrelated news, last night the fire alarm in my building went off at 1:43 a.m. As I shuffled down the stairs in pajama pants a little too big for me, squinting at all my neighbors, I experienced an uncomfortable flashback to all of sophomore year. Jeez. I graduated from college so I wouldn't have to deal with this. Fire trucks showed up, alarms blaring, dudes in uniforms tromping up and down stairs carrying sledgehammers--the whole works. T says that the system has been having some operating problems lately. I'll say.

1 comment:

Sales Rack Raider said...

Now that I have counter space right by the window, I'm thinking of getting a basil or rosemary plant and taking advantage of all that light. Little plants are so cute, and having fresh herbs are great.

Can't wait to "meet" Basel! I'm sure he is adorable.