Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mortification, with a side of morning

For the last four weeks, I have dreaded doing that which I inevitable know will come - the unavoidable do something unconceivably dumb in front of a professor thereby alienating myself in his sentiments for all time. Something like cut in front of someone in a checkout line at the store accidentally, only to see my civ pro prof glowering at me and memorizing my face. Or accidentally backing into a professor's car. Or, you know, something like what happened this morning.

It was raining, so the grass was wet, and I was walking on the side on the road rather than traipse ankle deep through damp soil and greenery. A big Escalade passed me, and I stepped back out toward the center of the road to catch up with my friend until I realize that a car has just swerved a little to avoid hitting me, and that the car in question is being driven by one of my professors. So not only have I made a big fool of myself, demonstrating that I have NO awareness of my surroundings, I have also done so while carrying a very recognizable pink lunch box and providing him with a neat affirmative defense if he ever DID hit me.

GOD. Can't I go just one semester without doing something stupid?

1 comment:

Jody said...

I'm sorry that happened Bernie, I'm sure your professor won't judge you for it.