Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Overcome by the domestic

With all this time on my hands, and so little desire to study, I've been swallowed, up to my elbows, into the mire of domestic bliss - dusting, vacuuming, laundering until I can launder no more. Cooking, especially. A very petit chicken is bubbling happily away on the stovetop, mere hours away from a beautiful soup speckled with celery and rounded with cute little macaroni elbows. I've also whipped up a chickpea salad and will try my hand at slow-roasted tomatoes sometime this week. The full stock in my fridge makes me sigh with happinnes.

Lest ye think all this culinary exploration emerges simply from an urge to procrastinate, think again. My digestion is thanking me as I slowly begin again to eat food that hasn't come out of a box. The supply of frozen meals in my freezer is dwindling, yes, but thankfully my vegetable crispers are once again full and I'm beginning to get something akin to the daily recommended amounts of nutrients. Time for food is really a luxury, I've discovered, and I intend to take full advantage of it until the blur of school starts up again.

No comments: